There is a lot of hype and bad publicity for the Pitbull dog. To be honest, 90% of it is based on more rumor than fact. The other 10% can actually be contributed to bad owners and not bad dogs. Pitbulls are very sweet and loving dogs. Human aggression was NEVER part of this dog’s breeding. To counter some of the bad raps this great breed gets, here are some fun facts you probably never knew about them.
1. Many breeds are commonly mistaken for a pit. Breeds like the Presa Canario, American Bulldog, and even Boxers have all been confused for pitbulls.
2. Pitbulls are often used as Therapy Dogs. There are literally hundreds of Pits that make their living as therapy dogs for young and old alike.
3. Pitbulls actually used to be referred to as Nanny dogs. This breed was looked at as a great friend and protector of children.
4. During World War I, Pitbulls were used as the mascot of the army recruitment posters. They were seen as athletes, companions, a protectors.
5. Their temperament is actually quite good. According to the American Temperament Test Society, 86.8% of American Pitbull Terriers pass their temperament testing.
As you can see, these dogs are actually quite sweet and have many endearing qualities. If anything they are a true testament to the fact a dog is a reflection of its owner. A bad owner will create a bad dog, whether you are talking pits or poodles. If you are looking to get a pit you should not let sensationalized media stories and shady dog owners persuade your decision. This breed has been as much of a staple of American history as apple pie itself. If you give them love and care they will give you a lifetime of love and affection in return.
To find out more about Pitbulls and what you should feed them, visit our website on the best dog food for Pitbulls.